Sleat is a real gem, and over and above sea kayaking, there are many other things you can do in the area. It is also known as the Garden of Skye, which you understand particularly when the rhododendron is in bloom and Sleat is lush and colourful. It is much more fertile and has got richer plant cover than the rest of the island and offers lovely forest walks, a beautiful castle garden, a new picturesque distillery, which is much less busy than its famous brother in Carbost, cafés, pubs, beaches and cultural events. For a general list of everything in Sleat, try Sleat Perfectly Skye. Things to do, accommodation and places to see, visit IsleofSkye.com for the ultimate guide.
- Skye Guides – Mountain guides. Climb the Cuillin or try some sea cliff climbing
- Walkhighlands – Plenty of walks you can do on your own. If you like walking, this is the website to look at!
- Torabhaig Distillery – Small, picturesque distillery close by
- Armadale Castle – Gardens and Museum on Highland History
- SEALL – Concerts and cutural events, anything from Scottish trad to dance theatre and jazz. Great for the evening
- Third Ridge Climbing Wall – A climber-run wall located in Portree
Lunch and Coffee
- Torabhaig Distllery – excellent cafe with soup, sandwiches, toasties and cakes – 2 miles
- Cafe 1925 Ardvasar – Tiny, cute, something different, local produce (check opening times!) – 3 miles
- Duisdale Hotel – exquisite afternoon tea (booking essential) – 7 miles
- Deli Gasta Broadford – versatile menu and good coffee – 13 miles
- Fisherman’s Kitchen Kyle of Lochalsh – amazing sea food salads, wraps, sandwiches. Outdoor seating only – 19 miles
In the summer Skye is a busy place and many restaurants are short staffed and not open to full capacity. If you want to avoid the stress of looking for your dinner while the stomach is rumbling, book a day or 2 ahead.
- Ardvasar Hotel – Good quality pub food just round the corner – 3 miles
- Red Skye Restaurant Breakish – High end pub food and sea food. Very good quality, very friendly – 13 miles
- The Hebridean Inn Broadford – Good quality food, reasonable prices, friendly service – 13 miles
- Edinbane Lodge – A special treat. In our opinion the best restaurant on Skye. Sensational tasting menu for fine dining enthusiasts in relaxed atmosphere. Can’t recommend enough. Book early! – 53 miles
Many local restaurants change chefs and owners often, so we are not always aware of all good options. Let us know if you have been somewhere you would recommend.